Sunday, September 2, 2012

A Fine Labor Day Stew

Labor Day Salute to Labor
It is the first weekend in September so that must mean it is Labor Day, which for many of us means a long weekend of R&R (rather ironic for Labor Day), family gatherings, picnics or cookouts, and one last summer fling, whether at the lake or around the house. But I do want to take the time to salute those who labor for the labor movement. I look at the workplace benefits I have enjoyed through the years, as many of us have. Perks such as paid vacations, paid sick leave, pensions, employer paid health insurance, and safer working conditions are all brought to us courtesy of labor unions, whether we belong to one or not. Ironically, labor unions may have done their jobs too well, which may account for only seven percent of private sector workers beloning to unions today. But, I lift a salute to those who risked their jobs, and more, esp on those days when I can take advantage of my perks without fear of losing my job.

Could Not Say It Better Myself
Here is a link to an interesting article by Janet Daley about the future role of government. She contrasts what is happening in Europe with what is happening in America. Read the article! I could not say it better myself.

College Football Season Opens
This weekend was the opening weekend for college football, which I truly enjoy. Being in Big XII country, and having graduated from a Big XII school, I will follow that particular conference most closely. Looks like newcomer West Virginia is the team to beat after Week 1. Things could change, but the Mountaineers were easily the most impressive Big XII team this weekend. Baylor might be the most under rated (picked to finish 7th), as their offense picked up where it left off last season, even without RGIII.

On the national scene, no team was more impressive than Alabama, which made mincemeat out of Michigan. There is no better big game coach in America than Nick Saban. Alabama in my book is better than #1 ranked USC. I see the championship staying in Tuscaloosa. Roll Tide!

Questions of the Week
When President Obama addresses the Democratic National Convention this week, will he do so from an empty chair? The President has taken Clint Eastwood's silly stunt in stride.

Will the "fact checkers" be as vigorous this week as they were last week?


No comments: